Yes, I admit. Bidding goodbye to the weekend is always hard. Nevertheless, it’s inescapable. All of the parties, lazy hours in bed, and movie marathons are over, and you are staring at a whole new week ahead of you with nothing but work, college, and your daily grind. But, Hey. Don’t worry. Though it may seem like an eternity, the weekend is just five days away. Here are some great ideas to help you better your Monday Morning, get a kickstart on your week and survive (Or better yet, thrive and become a productivity beast.) until the weekend swoops in again.
So, without further ado, let me get down to some fun ways to make Mondays more pleasant and keep those Monday Blues at Bay:
1. Formulate your Monday Morning Schedule on Friday Evenings.
Nope, It’s not Sunday! The Real prep for a fantastic Monday starts way before that, on Friday! “But weekends are for having fun and not worrying about the coming week!” you might be saying. And I wholeheartedly agree. However, investing just five minutes in drafting a rough to-do list will save you A LOT of time in the following week! It doesn’t have to be a minute-by-minute schedule of targets to be achieved! Just a rough idea of your Monday Routine will suffice!
This small task, I promise, will make you feel a little less overwhelmed on Monday morning.
And, please don’t postpone it until the last minute on Sunday night. Who are we trying to fool? All you’ll want to do on Sunday night is make the most of every minute and relax as much as possible to recharge for the next day!
2. Follow a Strict No-Working-On-Weekends Policy.
Weekends are for unwinding, spending more time with family, going on adventures, and refreshing. Not to answer work e-mails on your phone or to spend most of the time glued to your laptop.
Make the most out of your weekend to decompress and rejuvenate for the next week. Maintain a strict no-work-on-the-weekends policy. Reserve the weekends for exclusive YOU-time.
So, turn off those annoying e-mail notifications. Get outside and have some fun in the sun, will you!
3. Go to Bed Early on Sunday Night to Ensure you get Enough Sleep.
Well. Attending that wild party late Sunday night or binge-watching your favorite show until 3 a.m. might not be the smartest choice. Waking up sleep-deprived and grumpy is possibly one of the worst ways to start your Monday morning.
Instead, I recommend wrapping up all of your activities by early evening on Sunday so that you have plenty of time to relax, catch up on some rest, and go to bed early. Ensuring you wake up feeling refreshed and super energetic on Monday morning.
If you’re having trouble falling asleep, read this post to learn 12 tips that will help you snooze like a baby and beat insomnia. Speaking of going to bed early, that takes me to my next point.
4. Rise and Shine like the Diamond you are!
Do not hit the snooze button! Jump right out of bed when your alarm rings. I know. Waking up early on a Monday morning seems hard to do. Understandably so, after the two days of rampant fun, you have had. However, waking up earlier is beneficial for both your mind and body. It’s always beautiful to be in sync with Nature, as I usually say. Rising with the birds is the best way to go. Trust Nature because it knows the best.
Allow enough time for you to go through your morning routine without rushing. It will set the correct tone for the rest of the day. And do each and every task mindfully. So no more running to work without breakfast, frantically searching under the bed for that assignment that’s due, or leaving the car key inside the home after locking the front door!
5. Get some physical activity first thing in the morning.
Assuming you don’t skip step 4, i.e., getting up early, you should have at least 15 minutes to spare on Monday morning, and the best way to use it is to get moving. Literally, get your body moving. It might be anything you enjoy doing. A stroll in the park, watering your garden, or yoga. Perhaps some Zumba if you so wish.
Any activity that gets your body moving and you are good to go. Also, remember to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated to ensure you keep glowing like that Diamond you are!
6. Dress to Impress(Yourself!)
We all know that returning to the hustle at the office, college, or home after a weekend can be a daunting task. One easy way to make this more fun is to dress to impress! Impress not anyone else but you! It’s also proven that dressing good boosts confidence and enhances your performance.
Looking forward to wearing something fun and exciting can make those Monday blues run away. It does not matter if you are working from home, the office, or even your garage! Wear something nice, and you’ll find that you’re already less bummed about the weekend ending!
7. Do not skip your breakfast.
Skipping breakfast is a surefire way to be grumpy all day. When nutritionists say it’s the most important meal of the day, please don’t take it lightly.
You will definitely feel refreshed after a night’s sleep, but just as a vehicle requires fuel or electricity to run, your empty stomach requires some food to start working. Food is the fuel that gives you the energy to get ahead with your day. So don’t run the risk of skipping breakfast. (It is literally, Breaking the Fast after Night!)
P:S: Avoid processed foods, sugary food, and foods with a lot of salt for breakfast. They can make you feel moody and lethargic. Instead, opt for healthier alternatives like fruits, smoothies, and pancakes.
8. Set the Mood for your Monday morning.
If you are someone who likes listening to songs when getting ready to head out or when commuting to work or college, then this tip is for you.
Curate a playlist that’s exclusively for you. If you like being motivated, then that’s the mood to set. Make a playlist of your go-to high-energy motivational tunes. If you prefer to relax and calm your mind, choose music that helps you do so.
9. Don’t despise Mondays.
It may seem silly, but we need to stop hating on Monday so much. Instead, cherish this chance. And be grateful for this great day that you’ve been gifted with to enjoy.
Embrace Monday as another beautiful day to live rather than thinking of it as a monster who has returned to snatch your weekend joys away! It’s a day full of possibilities, new perspectives, and opportunities. Appreciate it and make the most of every minute you have.
10. Plan fun activities throughout the entire week.
Who says that life is supposed to be lived and enjoyed only on weekends? Is it a sin to have a fun time on a weekday? The majority of us are so immersed in our work that all we do the entire week is wait for the week to end. It makes Mondays even more painful as we still have to wait another five days for the weekend to come around again.
But what if you could have a good time every day? Would your life be as miserable as it is now? So don’t be hesitant to make plans for every day. Having something fun to look forward to every day can make you much happier. It doesn’t have to be something big like going on a hike or taking a road trip. Simple pleasures like a hearty meal with your best friends, a movie date with your love, a walk down the block, or getting your hands dirty in the garden.
If that’s too much for you, try this. Every day, set aside 30 minutes for self-care. Exclusive YOU-time. Follow a skin-care routine, read a book, take a relaxing bath, or meditate. In other words, decompress every day rather than stockpiling too much stress to offload on the weekend.
11. Time for some bonus tips!
- Adopt a morning ritual. Having a consistent morning ritual will help you see Monday just like any other day. Follow this routine every day to ensure that Monday feels no different from Saturday or Sunday! Maintaining such a self-care regimen can also help you develop self-love, increase productivity, and boost overall wellness.
- Incorporate meditation into your daily morning routine. Even 5 minutes of meditation a day can do wonders for your physical and mental health. It also dramatically increases your productivity. If you’re new to meditation, this comprehensive meditation guide for absolute beginners can help you get started and guide you through your first session.
- Do something nice for someone. The most beautiful way to start your Monday morning would be by doing something kind for someone. Seeing someone happy because of you is as good as being happy yourself. Your body releases happy hormones and makes you feel a sense of joy and accomplishment. So, why not do a kind deed for someone? Check out this list of kind things you can do to brighten someone’s day!
- Don’t schedule extremely Important activities and meetings on the first day of the week. It’s better to have them after the middle of the week, or at the very least on Tuesday. Mondays can be much more intimidating and difficult when there’re so many critical decision-making events. So, if feasible, avoid important tasks on Monday, and if you cannot avoid then plan and prepare for them way ahead of time on the previous week itself.
I hope this post helps you overcome the Monday Morning Blues and enables you to become more productive. Let me know what Monday morning rituals you love and follow in the comments below.
See you soon. I swear I’ll be back quicker than the weekend after Monday. 😛