I stumbled upon a beautiful quote the other day, and it goes like this:
“Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.”-Unknown
In a world when everyone is so focused on themselves, it is more essential than ever to be kind. Kind to all fellow humans, animals, birds, the environment. In short, the entire planet!
Scientific studies also suggest that random acts of kindness can have long-lasting positive effects. It can improve your mental health and happiness. So, why not do something nice for someone today? Read along as I share 25 simple things you can do to brighten somebody’s day.
1. Donate to charity.
Whatever you can manage. Toys, money, clothing, or even blankets!
2. Become a Volunteer.
Help out at an elderly care home, an animal shelter, or anywhere else you can.
3. Compliment someone.
Whether they are a stranger or someone you know. Be mindful to convey your intentions clearly and not come across as offensive.
4. Give up your seat on the bus to someone.
5. Buy flowers for a stranger.
6. Help your neighbors with their chores.
Walk their dog, mow their lawn, or provide any other help they may need.
7. Be extra generous with your tip.
You never know how little things can make someone’s day.
8. Donate blood.
If you are feeling fit & healthy, donate blood at the local blood bank.
9. Buy a meal for a homeless person.
It may seem like just another meal to you, but it could be that person’s only meal for the day.
10. Plant a tree.
11. Write a thank-you note.
It may be anyone: a friend, a family member, or the cashier at your favorite pizza place.
12. Help a stranger carry their heavy groceries to their car.
Say sorry to someone you may have hurt, whether intentionally or unintentionally. Even if it is hard to do! I promise you that it will free you of emotional baggage you may have been carrying for a long time now.
14. Organize or take part in a local clean-up campaign.
Raise some environmental awareness.
15. Bake a cake for some elderly neighbors.
16. Spend some time at an orphanage.
And don’t forget to bring some cookies for the kids.
17. Hold the door open for someone.
18. Send out some positivity.
Smile at a stranger and say hello!
19. Call someone and let them know you love them.
20. Feed some birds.
This is one of my favorites.
21. Pick up any trash you come across on the road.
And put it in trash cans.
22. Remember to say ‘Please’ and ‘Thank you.’
These are simple gestures, but they are often forgotten!
23. Let someone cut ahead of you in line while you wait.
24. Spend the day with elderly relatives.
25. Be kind to yourself!
Don’t belittle yourself or compare yourself to others. Show yourself some love. Also, try going a day without complaining about anything or anyone. Be grateful for what you have.
It would be great if you could include some of these tiny gestures into your regular routine. For example, holding a door for someone is something you can do every day. It will give you a sense of accomplishment and perhaps make someone’s day better!
Spread the love and kindness!